See the great Pug Pictures!  And post your own!Shop Fun Pug Stuff!
Pug Snorts Forum
We are a FREE community for pug dog lovers! Currently on hiatus.

Gallery      Home      Shopping
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worried sick about spay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdone
Baby Pup
Baby Pup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Worried sick about spay Reply with quote

ok, my little Maggie is going in Tuesday for her Spay. She will stay overnight. Let me tell you why Im worried sick. Maggie has seperation anxiety. She needs to have someone around at all times. We've never kenneled her because she gets so stressed. She's a little better then she used to be when we first got her. But I know being left over night at the vet is going to completely freak her out. Should I talk to the vet about this? This will be her first vet visit since we've had her. I'm on the verge of cancelling. If I could stay over night with her I would!
Anya
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
You can definitely express your concerns to your vet. But sometimes we magnify the anxiety just by being 'us'... They 'feed' off our energy and may act out what we think they are feeling.

In any event, it might be a quasi-ok experience for her though, to experience being apart from mommy. Once she has the surgery, she is going to be groggy and out of it, and being in a place that is relatively controlled might be ok for her since she's not going to want to do much of anything anyway.

I'm a little surprised they are keeping her overnight, although I guess that is the way they do things at some vet hospitals. Most clinics that I have experience with try to have them come home the same day, and for me personally, I prefer that because then I can keep an eye on them and monitor their 'grogginess'. Also, talking about separation anxiety and stuff... even if one of mine (fosters or whatever) have to go in for spay/neuter, when they come home and are groggy, even if I keep them in a cage, they are at least in a place that smells and sounds familiar. But again, she's not going to want to do anything that evening and will most likely just sleep.

More than the separation anxiety, I would be concerned with whether the vet has experience with pugs and anesthesia. Pugs must be intubated and the tube should not be pulled until they are pretty much awake. You may already know all this, but pugs because of their squished faces can easily experience apnea, and if they are sedated without a tube, it can have fatal consequences as they may not be able to wake themselves up to correct the apnea and start breathing again. If your vet is experienced and you are confident in their surgical abilities, then I personally would not worry so much about the separation anxiety. It will be harder for you than it will be for her.

I'll be thinking of you both on Tuesday. Please come back and let us know how it went.

Click here for some of my wonderful foster 'kids'
judy
Pug Fanatic
Pug Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping all went well with your pug's spay,and that she is again home with you,,,judy
Anya
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judy wrote:
Hoping all went well with your pug's spay,and that she is again home with you,,,judy

Me too....

Click here for some of my wonderful foster 'kids'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pug Snorts Forum Forum Index -> The Pug Park All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: